Open Enrollment Is Underway — Here Are the Top Questions HR Is Receiving This Year

Oct. 10, 2022

The Annual Open Enrollment period is the time for you to choose the benefits and well-being resources that best meet your needs for 2023.

The following are the most frequently asked questions HR is receiving this year:

1 – Do I need to do anything if I am not planning to change my benefits?

We recommend that you review your coverage to confirm your current elections will continue to meet your needs in 2023. If you are satisfied, you are not required to re-elect coverage, which automatically carries forward to next year, with the exception of Healthcare Flexible Spending and Dependent Care Flexible Spending accounts. You must make a new election if you want to contribute to either of these accounts in 2023. If you want to change your benefits coverage, you must make the new elections during Open Enrollment.

2 – How do I enroll in voluntary benefits?

Winston Benefits handles enrollment in voluntary benefits, which include supplemental health and legal services. To enroll, change, or waive coverage, go to or contact Winston Benefits at (855) 393-3601.

3 – Do I have to lock in my dental election for two years?

The dental lock is no longer in place; the election you make this Open Enrollment period will be in effect from January 1, 2023, through December 31, 2023. 

4 – Can I increase my supplemental life insurance?

You may elect or increase your supplemental life insurance amount by one times your base salary without Evidence of Insurability (EOI), provided the increase does not raise your supplemental life insurance above three times your base salary or $500,000. EOI is required for any election over three times your base salary or $500,000 in value.

5 – Can I change my contribution to the Retirement Savings Plan during open enrollment?

Yes! You can change your Retirement Savings Plan contribution for 2023 in HR Self Service at any time during the year, including Open Enrollment.

6 – How do I enroll in the HSA and receive the employer contribution?

If you enroll in the Consumer Directed Health Plan, you will have the opportunity to elect a Health Savings Account. If you elect the HSA during open enrollment, you will receive the employer contribution. You do not have to contribute. 

7 – Will I receive new ID cards? 

If you make a change to your benefits, including adding dependents or electing a new plan, you will receive new ID cards in the mail. The Aetna DMO plan does not send ID cards as they are not required for services.

8 – Can you recommend the right plans for me? 

While we cannot recommend a plan, we do provide access to Picwell, an online decision support tool, can help individuals select medical benefits for themselves and their families. After responding to a few key questions, Picwell will use the answers to provide a personalized health cost prediction and ranking for each health plan based on the individual’s unique health risks and preferences. Personal information obtained by Picwell is anonymous and is not stored or shared. In addition, Health Advocate can also assist with comparing your options at (866) 695-8622.

9 – Can I still keep my University benefits if I’m turning 65 next year and continue to work?

If you are actively working in a benefits-eligible position, you and your covered dependents can remain covered under your current University medical plan, which will continue to be their primary coverage. This coverage is considered “credible,” and individuals are not charged a penalty for electing the Medicare Part B coverage at a later date. Visit Medical Benefits of Active Employees Turning 65 for more information.

10 – How can I continue benefits coverage for my 26-year-old dependent who will lose their coverage at the end of the year?

If your child is aging out of the benefit plans, they will be offered the opportunity to continue their coverage through COBRA. A COBRA packet will be mailed to the employee’s home address with details.

11 – Do I need to verify new dependents added to my benefits?

If you add any dependents to your benefits during Open Enrollment, please send the required dependent verification documents to

12 – Do I need to take any action if I plan to retire from Princeton University?

If you plan to retire from Princeton, please review the Retiring from Princeton webpage for details about the process and steps you should take to ensure a smooth transition to retirement. We recommend scheduling an appointment with a Benefits Specialist approximately 3 months prior to retirement to discuss your benefits. Please email to schedule an appointment.