Notice of Special Enrollment Rights

Under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), you have a right to apply for healthcare coverage with Princeton University. You should read this information even if you waive coverage.

If you are declining enrollment for yourself or your dependents (including your spouse) because of other health insurance or group  health plan coverage, you may be able to enroll yourself or your dependents in Princeton University offered healthcare coverage if you   or your dependents lose eligibility for that other coverage (or if the employer stops contributing towards you or your dependents’ other coverage). However, you must contact the Benefits Team within 31 days after you or your dependents’ other coverage ends (or after the employer stops contributing toward the other coverage).

In addition, if you have a new dependent as a result of marriage, birth, or adoption, you may be able to enroll yourself and your dependents. However, you must request enrollment within 31 days after the marriage or within 90 days following the birth or adoption.

Special enrollment rights also may exist in the following circumstances:

  • If you or your dependents experience a loss of eligibility for Medicaid or a state Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) coverage and you request enrollment within 60 days after that coverage ends, or
  • If you or your dependents become eligible for a state premium assistance subsidy through Medicaid or a state CHIP with respect to coverage under this plan and you request enrollment within 60 days after the determination of eligibility for such assistance.

The 60-day period for requesting enrollment applies only in these two listed circumstances relating to Medicaid and state CHIP. As described above, a 31-day period applies under the plan for all changes, except for birth or adoption, which allows for a 90-day period. To request special enrollment or obtain more information, contact the Benefits Team.